Wednesday 24 June 2009

Rounded Mull of Galloway

We rounded the Mull of Galloway several hours ago thanks to the tide and some feeble wind. We've been chasing patches of ripples on the water. These ripples indicate where there is wind. The scenery is all very nice, but it would be nice to see something different for a change.

We're among a fleet of Three Peaks Yacht race boats. GFT Adventure are very close on our starboard side. Both us and them have been rowing on and off to try to get our yachts into the ripples and hence into the wind. As I type, we've hit the wind and have thankfully speeded up. This is good news for me as it means that I am off rowing duty for the next few minutes. I periodically get asked to move from one side of the boat to the other. Apparently, this can beneficially alter the shape of the sails. It is good to know that I am useful, even if only as ballast.

Spirits rose at midday as we got the music on and we sailed, or drifted along in the sunshine to the sound of country and western. I have even more respect for Geoff now I know he listens to Tammy Wynette and Dolly Parton. I am pleased that he has been sharing this music with us.

The tide will turn in the next couple of hours. Unless we get some more wind, we might end up going backwards. I'm hoping that we make the Mull of Kintyre by tomorrow morning. We should then have a nice upwind sail up by the islands of Jura, Islay and Mull towards Fort William. One thing's for sure: we should be well rested when we arrive for the final run!

No comments:

Post a Comment